The Wells Fargo Championship celebrates its 14th year in Charlotte this week. With round one starting Thursday. It has gone by a few other names in the past but here’s a look at the weather for every single year dating back to 2003 and some other weather facts:
This tournament has had a history of some crazy weather mainly in the
form of rain. The temperatures have truly been all over the place which is typically for this time of the year in the Charlotte region. The earliest date that a 1st round has been played was April 29th 2010. Last year the tournament was moved back and this will be the latest the tournament has ever been played May 14th-17th. Which made the tournament warmer compared to the previous 2 years.
The tournament has gone by these names:
Wachovia Championship from 2003-2009
The Quail Hollow Championship from 2009-2010
Now the Wells Fargo Championship from 2011-Present
ALL-Time Weather Records: 2003-2015
Temperatures Rounds 1-4 Thursday-Sunday:
- Warmest Round: 89° 4th Round Sunday May 2nd, 2010, & 3rd round 2003
- Coldest Round: 58° 2nd Round Friday May 4th, 2007
- Coldest Morning Low: 36° 1st Round Thursday May 5th, 2011
- Warmest Championship: 86° 2004 (Avg of all 4 rounds)
- Coldest Championship: 62.6° 2014 (Avg of all 4 rounds)
- Wettest Round: 0.53” 3rd Round Saturday May 2nd, 2009 and 4th round May 5th, 2013
- Driest Round: 0.00” Many times
- Wettest Tournament: 0.62” 2013
- Driest Tournament: 0.00” 2008, 2014 & 2015 (Only years with zero rain all 4 rds)
- Highest Sustained Winds: Southwest 32 mph Round 2 May 9th 2003
- Calmest Sustained Winds: Northeast 9 mph 3rd round May 5th 2007
- Windiest Championship: 25.3 mph 4 round average 2003
Prevailing Wind Direction:
Complete Round by Round Weather Data:
Winner Rory Mcllroy -21
Winner J.B. Holmes at -14.
Winner Derek Ernst at –8 in a playoff. This was the coldest & wettest Championship on record.
Winner Ricky Fowler –14 in a playoff.
Winner Tiger Woods at –13
Winner Jim Furyk –12 in a Playoff
Winner Vijay Singh at –12 in a playoff
Winner David Toms at –10. Windiest tournament on record.
All Data from the official reporting station at Charlotte-Douglas International airport. More tournament information can be found at http://www.wellsfargochampionship.com/Home.aspx